Smoke Detector Day

Continue to safety gap between the provinces regarding smoke detectors mandatory Dusseldorf, June 12th, 2008 it is the most beautiful but also most dangerous home. A glance on the fire statistics: most fire victims die mostly at night in the home. The installation of smoke detectors demonstrably contributes to the protection of human life. Nevertheless, there is no uniform fire safety regulations for domestic use in Germany. The smoke detector manufacturer EI Electronics is a member of the campaign smoke detectors save lives and hence initiators of Friday, June 13, held smoke alarm tags. The company is committed in this context for the awareness of the population regarding the necessity of function-ready smoke detectors. Despite smoke detector introduction duty within the next 3-6 have years in seven federal States one third of German households today smoke detectors only installed.

This number is in international comparison far behind other industrialized nations as Germany United Kingdom (80 per cent) or the United States (93 per cent in 40 States). The effectiveness of the small life rescuer evident in the example of Norway (90 per cent coverage)\”: since 1990, they are there duty, causing about 70 lives per year. Although smoke detectors be used since the 1970s, the spread in many neighbouring countries of Germany like France, the Netherlands, Austria and Belgium is also still very low. The chance of survival in a fire with functional detectors is three times higher than without. Currently is a safety gap between the 16 federal States in Germany, since only seven countries consider this issue in their building codes. Schleswig-Holstein, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Bremen, Rhineland-Palatinate, the Saarland, Hesse, and since 2008, regulations for the installation of smoke detectors in new buildings and for retrofitting in existing buildings have already prompted also Thuringia. Thus but less than a quarter of the total population are affected. The population raise awareness of private housing is due to the many flammable plastics in furnishings brand at risk.